What do we observe?
There is a general trend to get education and school mixed up: school is the environment used by the society to teach in a formal way the heritage it considers relevant for new generations. However, education is acquired not only in educational institutions, but also in other areas of the society, non-formal ones.
When do we talk about non-formal education?
Non-formal education takes place when are growing phenomena of learnings and inter-learnings between peers, in non-formal places. It is based on confidence and a dialog atmosphere where both parts learn how to listen, accept criticisms, support their positions, look for alternatives, etc…
What does non-formal education enable?
- It enables to feed from experiences of others and to share knowledge acquired in every space.
- The concerned one decides himself what he wants to rule out and prioritize. In that way, he is not only actor, but also author of his development.
- He doesn’t limit himself to accumulate expertise, but builds his knowledge to accompany his experiences, find his utility within his family, his friends’ group, the society.
How does Qosqo Maki promote non-formal education?
One of the roles of Qosqo Maki is to multiply opportunities in an area of freedom:
- The dormitory is not only a place where many beds are available, but also a space of cohabitation shared between the users and educators, these ones having the role of referent adults.
- The library answers to the preoccupation of the young persons to share their knowledge, worries and activities with their peers and other adults who are not going to condemn their attitudes or initiatives.